By: Rebecca Rose, In Clover founder and product developer
Bad breath can be an early sign of dental issues, digestive upset and periodontal problems. The best dog breath snacks I have found are not just for fresh breath. They also help strengthen digestion and improve gum health in dogs.
Here’s what I look for:
- Treats that contain chlorophyll to neutralize mouth odors.
- Anise as an ingredient with refreshing qualities for your dog’s breath. Additionally, anise has a couple of special bonuses.
- Dogs love this high value ingredient, anise is also called “dog nip”.
- Your dog won’t smell like chicken parts after licking you in appreciation for the treat.
For strong bad breath:
- Green Tea has antibacterial and anti-plaque properties that powerfully target the source of bad breath.
- Prebiotics like FOS and inulin support the healthy bacteria in your dog’s stomach, where a lot of bad breath starts.
Read the label, believe it or not, many dental snacks contain sugar, sometimes disguised as dextrose, glucose, fructose or high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). I stay away from anything with added sugar!